First of all I want to apologise for the fact that there was no Character Spotlight post on Friday- I went on holiday with my family. So, without further ado here is the next installment of the Character Spotlight posts: Mags from the Hunger Games trilogy.
Mags is one of my favourite characters in the series even though she only appears in the one book (Catching Fire), I can only hope that one day Suzanne Collins will write a novel about Mags and District Four. I think as soon as I read the scene where Katniss, Haymitch and Peeta are talking about the reapings I fell in love with Mags. Here is just a few of the reasons why:
- Mags won the 11th Hunger Games and she would therefore have been alive during the Dark Days making her one of the few characters who was alive before the Hunger Games began (the other being President Snow).
- She mentors a young Finnick Odair who later wins the Hunger Games, and according to the book she is ‘half his family.’
- She volunteers for Annie Cresta at the 75th Hunger Games, even though she knows that she’ll probably die in the Games and she’ll have to face her former student Finnick during the Games.
- She shows Katniss how to make a fish hook, this and the fact that she volunteered for Annie helps her form an alliance between District Four and Twelve.
- She (and Finnick) also make bowls and a hut in the Arena to hold the water from the spile.
- And most importantly of all, during the fog she sacrifices herself and walks into the fog so that Peeta, Katniss and Finnick could live.
So, there you go, hope you enjoyed this post and please stay tuned for new updates, also please recommend and suggests characters you would like featured!